Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Trying to save money but foolish.

Yes back when I first took over maintenance here. We use to use antifreeze mixture. It would be 60% water and 40% antifreeze. Well as time went by, I kept on buy antifreeze. The cost kept going up. We were paying around $24.00 a gallon here. So I started looking into other means. I found this stuff called Red Coolant. I asked around and pretty much guys were telling me this is good and you really don't need antifreeze here in the Bahamas. So started buying this Red Coolant. Great savings. This cost us $3.25 a gallon. Wow, what a savings. So I used it ever since. Now we have had a lot troubles with the buses, first have blown two head gaskets on two of them. Radiators started getting more holes in them. Just thinking they are getting older. So over these last couple of years, I sure saved a lot on the coolant but mean while destroying the buses at the same time. Scott as been here now for almost 4 months. I asked him to go on line and check and see what they say about my problems. I asked Bob too about this and he said we should use antifreeze. Pretty much each site he went to said the same. You need to use antifreeze in every vehicle. So I did some checking out here too. The radiator shops all said the same. Then went shopping for the prices. The prices really have not changed that much. Still good antifreeze cost around $24.00 a gallon. So think now, we have three buses and 8 vehicles. The buses take about 7 gallons each and each vehicle around 3 gallons each. Big bill. I went to a friend here on the island that over sees a parts house. I talked with him and he gave me a deal you would not believe? He sold me antifreeze, GOOD STUFF. For $8.50 a gallon. Now is my God BIG OR WHAT. I bought 20 gallons Monday and yesterday, Tim and I redid all three buses. This coming week I will change out the vehicles too. So PLEASE if you think you are saving money on NOT buying antifreeze. PLEASE think again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay we made to Orlando and all checked in and ready to enjoy our time.

It was near the end of the day. So, let's take a bus to Universal City Walk?  It's really neat how they have set this place up. Univ...