Tuesday, May 03, 2016

Words Of Comfort

Raise your hand if you've never been afraid! While I cannot see your response, you can be sure that my arms are limp by my side.
In fact, when I stroll down memory lane, I can think of a few scary, fearful instances in my life. For example, I recall how scared I was when a dog was attacking me. I could see him break free from his owner's leash and dart straight toward me. The story has a mostly happy ending! I still love pets, including dogs!

Some folks face the fear of an illness. Cancer is one of those diseases that make most of us "dis-eased." It is an uncomfortable feeling when we have a foreign entity in our cells. Everything in us screams, "You get out of here, now!"

Fear is a foreboding, a feeling of distress and anxiety. How can we handle a fear or even a severe phobia?

Here is what I found out accidentally while doing hospital visits. When visiting someone at home or hospital, many of us like to leave a get-well card or flowers to cheer a person who is in the throes of uncertainty. Cards and flowers are nice, but I also found that a homemade bookmark with a particular verse from Isaiah truly brings comfort. This Old Testament prophet spoke fearful words, to be sure. But he also brought words of wisdom and comfort when life's events make us afraid.

Isaiah 41:10 – Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand. (NKJV)

When I pass this bookmark to a person after I have read it, in every instance that I recall, I could see the fear visibly leave the person's face and a smile of comfort arrive and reside!

Prayer: Lord Jesus, You know how often we are afraid. You often told Your disciples not to be afraid. In so many ways, You offered words of comfort, especially to folks who looked to You for healing. Help us today, just for today, to keep us aware of Your presence, Your strength, and Your help. We praise and thank You, O Lord. Amen.

Karl Csaszar



Thought for Today: If you wouldn't write down and sign what you intend to say, don't say it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Okay we made to Orlando and all checked in and ready to enjoy our time.

It was near the end of the day. So, let's take a bus to Universal City Walk?  It's really neat how they have set this place up. Univ...