Monday, October 12, 2015

This is was Friday morning.


At the end of this road you will find this place. It is the property of a gentlemen named Mr Higgs. Here they make char coal. That right, here in the Bahamas they make their own char coal.
The guy on the left, works here. His English is not to good. Billy is on the right trying to find Mr. and Mrs. Higgs. Well after a couple of minutes Mr. Higgs and his wife pulled up. Now why are we here? Well Billy does this on the side, he buys the char coal and then turns around and sells it to who ever need it. So Mr. Higgs is the wholesaler and Billy is the salesman. So today Billy has a gentlemen coming to pick up 8 bags of this at his home around 6 pm. 


Okay now look at how nice this pile of wood is? The son of Mr. Higgs came out before his dad showed. So he was explaining to us how it is done. Well they pile this wood up and then throw leaves and small twigs on top. Then they put a sheet of plastic on and then pour about 6" of dirt on top of this too. The reason for the plastic and dirt is to help stop the smoke from rising. So I guess it is like a oven inside and burn the wood. 




There are four (4) holes. Two on each side. The small pile of wood there is what cause the fire to start. Then inside the hole there the fire runs to. Folks we were told all this and Billy and I still not sure how this burns. But that is what were told. 


This is the back end of Mrs. Higgs. She went inside and started throwing the bags out for us. If you look up at the first picture, each one of these trailers are full of char coal. Asking Mrs. Higgs, why are you going to burn more lumber? You have plenty of char coal? She told me has they keep getting the wood to burn (which is free) why not keep going? 
Not sure how much the bag cost Billy, but he was telling me that there are places on this island that charge $45.00 a bag. Billy sells his for $30.00. So I know Billy is not loosing any money, but still making a little. So these others are ripping people off for the same bag. Oh there are a couple of other char coal makers here. 
I thought this was interesting. 
I just know I go to Walmart and buy a bag of Kingford and I am set. But Mr. Higgs was telling me that all that stuff has chemicals in it? Which makes since. How do they make it in that pretty cube of theirs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello again, going to talk about the old shed in back.

When I started this project, I really was just thinking of running 12 wires to the back and hooking it up and let it alone. But as I have a ...