Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Have been having some troubles with my little truck, Ranger.


About two weeks ago, I noticed my Ranger was not turning  over as fast it did before. Let me see if I can explain better? 
Many years ago, like 1960's to 1980's Most car and trucks had a distributors. These devices were used to cause the spark plug to fire at the correct  time. That is why it was called a distributor. So you can change the timing on your engine, by rotating the distributor left or right, this would advance the timing and the other way would retire the timing.  That way your engine would run to the fullest. 
Well As I was saying about troubles, my engine was acting like it was out of time. All cars and trucks don't have the distributor in the engines any more. All computers now. So I checked the battery (Ok). Now what I know it have been a year or so, since I have changed out the spark plugs and wires? Maybe this will help? So, on Saturday I went out and bought new plugs and wires, plus a new air cleaner too. Just trying to make her run again. I started out wearing gloves. But after a couple of times trying to feel where the spark plug goes into. I took them off and you can see, my engine as oil and grease all over it. Guess what I really don't care. I need to fix the truck and that is how I do it. 



These are the old parts I took out. You can see one of the spark plug wires broke off. So that was a challenge, but I got it off. Plus there were a couple of spark plugs that were very tight to loosen. 
All in all, got them changed out and new air filter too. I tried to start it. Still very hard to turn over. 
I jumped the battery, still will not turn over fast enough to start up. 
Okay, hopefully it is not the engine itself? Thinking maybe it is internal? Prayerfully it is NOT??? 
So I asked my lovely wife to help me tow the truck over to Cason's Auto Repair? She told me, she can do that. So I hooked up the tow line and we towed it to Cason's. About three miles down the road. Got there and his place is on a hill. So Jeanne pulled me in as far as she could. Then I put Ranger in park. Undid the tow line and ask Jeanne to get into the truck and see it I can push it up to the door? I tried and failed. To much of a hill. Pulled the F150 around the back of Ranger. Then pulled up to see if the bumpers line up? Great they do. So Jeanne was driving Ranger. I pushed her up into ta parking space. All is well, now let us see what Damon will have to say? 
I stopped by the next day to see if he had a chance to look at it? No sorry he told me in a couple of days, he is short a few guys. 
Okay on Tuesday we needed some keys out of the Ranger, so we stopped by and Damon told me that, all I need is a starter replace and charge up the battery. That is GREAT NEWWS. Go for it. Last evening he called me and told me, it is up and running again. $200.00. Praise Our Lord. 
That is great news, so I stopped by and paid and we pick it up last night after all the running around we needed to do. Drove her home and there is a small problem now in the right hand side of the front end. I believe it is, when we towed and I tried to pull it all the way up to the parking space at Cason's and maybe put a flat spot on the front right tire? All will be okay. I will take it back to Damon today or tomorrow and have him check it out. 
Hey I am so happy that she it running again and I don't have to do more on the engine. 
Folks a few years ago, I would have gotten under the truck and checked the starter? But I believe, I can afford someone like Damon and his crew to do this kind a of work. 
I still want to work on top of the engine, but not under any more.
I believe Our Lord has given me wisdom and the funds to have someone else deal with problems like that. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello again, going to talk about the old shed in back.

When I started this project, I really was just thinking of running 12 wires to the back and hooking it up and let it alone. But as I have a ...